All of the tests and source code that I have used throughout the development of the app are viewable on my Github repository. There is also a live version on github.io. It was quite fun to make, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Originally the app only ran using a single file’s data. I’ve since added a custom form with inputs for entering word grids and word lists on the fly. In addition I have added support for uploading files (with drag-n-drop support). After the submit button is pressed the app outputs its search results. Horizontal matches are underlined in blue, vertical matches are bordered on their left and right by white, and the diagonal matches have red text.
Ease of Use
In order to create a smoother user experience I have made use of the Bootstrap library. There are portions of the page that provide information regarding proper formatting, depending on the fields being viewed. Errors alert the user to any issues with the custom inputs.
Match highlighting allows users to click found words in the word list and highlight the beginning of the match on the word grid (reversed words highlight the end of the match). The highlighted matches can be toggled on and off at any time, which makes finding matches on a complex word grid significantly easier.
In recent updates, i’ve slightly modified the logs to display how many words have been matched out of those provided, as well as the speed of each search (in milliseconds).